As a photographer, I get asked this question all the time. "Do we really need an engagement session?" Clients typically look for ways to tame their wedding budget, and many times the engagement session is one of the first things to be cut. When I meet with a couple for the first time to discuss their wedding day, I encourage them to add an engagement session to their package. Here's why...
- Engagement sessions allow the couple to get to know the photographer, and vice versa.
- It's a bonding experience for both parties.
- In an engagement session, a photographer can coach the couple on how to take flattering images. And on the wedding day, posing in front of a camera will be second nature.
- Engagement photos are like a trial run. When clients get their images back, they can have a conversation with one another and with the photographer to discuss what they liked, what they didn't like. This is key for the photographer. He or she can then cater the preferences of their clients on the day of the wedding.
- Unlike weddings, engagement sessions are usually stress free. There aren't any details the couple needs to worry about. There is no timeline. They aren't relying on anyone or anything. It's an intimate moment for the couple to show how they feel for one another in front of the camera.
- It's FUN!!! Who doesn't like to have flattering photos taken of themselves? What would you rather have in your living room, a selfie on your wall, or a professional portrait?